a) Is your organisation a fundraising organisation?
Ask yourself whether these apply to your organisation:
Mission and Communication
We have a clear, simply stated mission.
We keep focused on the mission and make it central to all communication, including the need for income.
Leadership and Resources
Our Trustees and Senior Leadership see themselves as fundraisers; understand that it is the only way to achieve the mission; take a long-term approach; accept change; commit time and resources.
We invest in fundraising.
Every member of the organisation has seen the work in action – particularly the fundraisers.
All the staff have training in fundraising principles and donor relations.
Every member of the organisation can relay the key messages with emotive stories, and talk about the organisation’s work to a donor.
Every member of staff interacts with donors periodically.
Fundraisers are seen by all staff as highly professional and central to the organisation.
Test the above
1. Can you tell your organisation’s mission, with a story, simply and emotively to a friend (or donor)? What is their response?
2. Can you describe your organisation’s work to a friend (or donor), its history and its plans?
3. Can you explain your organisation’s fundraising strategy to a friend (or donor), including the costs needed to generate income?
4. When did you last see your organisation’s work and its beneficiaries on the front line?
5. When did you last interact with a donor?